Thursday, April 15, 2010

Attack of old womanism

Awwk. I am a cheek-pinching, hair-mussing old woman. It began when .....

.... Connie and I took Aidan and Zane with us to do some errands yesterday.

I felt horrible, but I needed the human company. So after a couple of false starts, Connie and I headed out to lunch at Jorge's.

We arrived later than we normally do, but got seated right away. The food, as always, made my taste buds rejoice. But the noise, combined with my uneasiness, made me feel closed in, and I had to leave. Fortunately, we had finished eating. I fled to the car while Connie paid the bill.

We then picked up the boys and headed for Wallyworld. Aidan chattered and Zane chimed in.

We walked the perimeter of the store. I found myself mussing Zane's hair and pinching Aidan's cheeks. Oops.

By the time we finished there, I started to cave.

We headed to a local grocery store and I decided to remain in the car with the kids and let Connie do the walking.

Aidan told me a long involved story about heaven, parachutes and his cat, Cindy, which had recently died. He displays a great imagination and a good command of the language.

During our expedition to Wal-Mart, I spied something we had wondered about some months ago. Headbands in various colors hung on a rack -- the kind worn by Ibrahimovic and those other haired players. Well, another mystery solved.

I am confused. Nothing new, right? Human relationships puzzle me. I hope to be the kind of friend I would like to have. Sometimes, though, I misread others and that causes me grief. Thus the timidity.

I am doubly blessed to have known you. What kind of odds?

Tears still come, dude.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment