Thursday, May 30, 2013

That season

A TV turned up too loud, the wind whooshing against the windows and somewhere in my sleeping mind, the sound of a siren. Pogo huddles against my body between my face and waist. I lie there for a minute or two trying to get my mind to function. I had been asleep for nearly 3.5 hours.

I looked at the radar on the net and turned on the TV. Weather guys say to take shelter NOW. I grabbed a comforter, my Diet DP, a chair and the remote for the TV. Who knows why I picked up the remote. I called the kitties and went into the tiny closet in the bathroom.

Momo, the curious one, came into the closet to see why I hid there. I closed the door, and for the next hour I sit there, uncomfortably warm, with a no longer curious cat. To be fair, the space could not hold the two of us along with the chair and comforter.

I venture out of the hidey-hole thinking I had not heard the siren in awhile. The TV weather guy says the danger moved on. Back to bed Pogo and I go. He hid in a bathroom cabinet, his go-to spot in times of danger or stress.

Oh yes, earlier in the evening the power dies. I discover I can do without o2 for more than an hour without passing out. I never check the sats, however. I did not recharge my portable after the last outing, thus no o2.

I miss my independence. I find relying on others causes anxiety. When someone asks if I need something, I most often say no. I miss runs to Wendy's for the newest burger. I find myself not aging gracefully.

Funny how when one finally gains wisdom, no one wants to hear. What does one do with an overabundance of wisdom?

As Johnny Cash sang, I still miss someone.

Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment