Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cha-cha-changes

Various viruses and old age finally took my computer. I bought her not too long after I retired. I knew her like a mother knows her child. For the most part, she did what I asked of her and if not, the blame usually fell on me. After taking her to the most expensive doctor in town and spending $200 for his best voodoo, she finally refused to run anymore.

I asked my best friend's spouse to hunt down the best my money could buy. The only instructions I gave him: I want a Dell.

After a week of comparing, he decided on my new girl and brought her home and installed wire A to point X for me. She purrs like a kitten wrapped in a warm blanket. However, her do-dads, gizmos and whatsits make me feel like what I am, a 66-year-old out of sync woman.

I love free apps even if most come with strings. Try such and such free for a year, then pay with your first-borne son. I am onto those games, and resist the old marketing trick usually. 

I took an introductory tour of my new girl while the Seahawks beat the Giants. Under the hood, she tantalizes with all sorts of fancy Hemi stuff. I could use her for years and not learn all her secrets. Typing this blog reveals one irritation about the keyboard. The caps lock key sits too close to the action, which often requires revision of entire sentences. I do like the keyboard better on the new Dell compared to the Kindle. The Kindle wants to correct everything you type; it wants to write for you. One of these days, I think I will give you an example.

Chuck, remember how Beth paid you to give me a private lesson on the Mac or whatever program the newspaper used at the time? I could use some Chuck about now. 

Laters. Miss you, Dude.

1 comment:

  1. I have been on the hunt for a new laptop for several months. Mine is over 6 years old (the oldest piece of computer equipment I've ever had lol), and I'm so ready to have something that won't shut down on me and reboot whenever it feels like! I really would like another Dell, too. I'm kinda waiting for Cyber Monday for some deals! I'm assuming you probably have Windows 8.1 now? I have heard it's very confusing and takes some getting used to!!

    ReplyDelete