Sunday, August 12, 2012

Reflections on the games

I spent many hours watching the Olympics. In my previous life, I read about the games but only caught the highlights.

I want to know more about the gold medal winners from the smaller countries like the Dominican Republic. Yes, that country won a gold medal in track and field. I want to know more about the events most Americans know nothing about, such as race walking. I want to know about the countries that participate but have never won.

When did slapping hands after every point start? Or striking poses after winning? When did diving begin and I do not mean from a platform? The refs, for the most part, let the athletes play. Observers know when one player falls down the offender throws his hands in the air as if to say "Not me. I did nothing."

Though I am unsure about the validity of dressage as a sport, I love to watch the horses prance, particularly when they move diagonally across the arena. I am reminded of this guy in cartoons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsROL4Kf8QY

Other countries look up to the United States. The players imitate our sports heroes. I think America should use that influence to better relations with all countries. We should be gracious winners. Yes, we won a gazillion medals but we should extend a hug or handshake to the losers who tried their best to knock off the giant. How many of the opposing athletes knew before they mounted the balance beam they would not win? Yet these countries, large and small, continue to send athletes to the games on the chance of an upset and a little PR.

I enjoyed watching the outdoor events because historic London served as a backdrop. I remember seeing in person many of the sites the runners passed. I would love to visit the city again and see some of the  additions since the 1980s.

What will we remember about this Olympics? The Blade Runner? The Chinese hurdler? The relay runner with the broken leg? The U.S. Women's Soccer Team? Michael Phelps with his bat wing arms winning more gold?

How does a winning college basketball coach feel about coaching pro players who basically kill the opposition without direction? How do the players feel about the coach and his strategy?

How do the Olympics fit into our sports obsessed society? What do you think, Dude?

Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment