Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What a pain

The pain was so intense, I could not breathe. I shouted in my mind for the pain to please, please stop. Out loud I said ow, ow, ow and pointed to my back.

The day began with a quesy tummy, so I scrambled a couple of eggs, threw in some cheddar cheese and toasted a couple of slices of bread. I had come to the conclusion I needed food.

I had an appointment with Doc at 12:15. I arrived with my list of prepared questions and was ushered in promptly.

He said the statin could cause my achy arm muscles, even after using it for many years. So no statin for a week to see if the muscle pain lessens.

He wants me to try glucosamine chondroitin for a month to see if the supplement helps my stiff fingers.

He ordered X-rays of my lungs and one that included kidneys, spleen, liver and gall bladder.

The technician had me lie flat on my back on the table to do the organs X-rays. That went quickly and as I sat up, a searing pain shot though my back in the center. The intense pain almost sent me to my knees. I could not move, I could not breathe. Shrieks echoed in my brain as the muscles in my back locked and refused to loosen their grip on the pain. Eventually, I could stand and walk.

I headed back down to the second floor to see what else Doc had in mind.

Did the PFTs and the gas exchange tests. I blew 49 last time for FEV1 and 52 this time. Yay!!

Then I got to pee in a cup and donate two vials of blood for the vampire. On my way out the door after seeing the Doc one more time, he says I am scheduling a sonagram of your organs.

Back to the fourth floor. Back to lying flat on my back, then on either side so she could do the kidneys, too. OK, hop up she says. Like a good little patient, I try. The pain paralyzes me again.

I am not real sure where my friend pain came from, but I do not like the way she acts. Maybe she will move on soon, though I fear she will become a permanent pest. I avoid flat on my back because of my breathing. Now add to that pain. Good thing I do not suntan.

Such was my day, the first day of my 63rd year.

Later, Dude.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about the pain...I hope it becomes an ex-friend and leaves you alone soon! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh so sorry you are having this pain! I sure hope it has left by now. Surely you do not need any more problems, and pain is a horrible friend to have. Take care...Hugs :))

    ReplyDelete