Sunday, September 6, 2015

Here right now

One of these days life will be better. Until then I try to cope with the pain. I know some people do care, those who sent me an email just to say they think of me, those who called with messages of hope, those whom I do not know praying for me, those who know my pain firsthand offered encouraging words.

We all handle pain and loss in different ways. Last time I looked, books on how to cope abound. Grief does not come in a one size fits all package. And mixing grief with anxiety and depression makes the process more challenging. When you lie in the hole, daylight fails to penetrate the gloom.

Though I appreciate the concern and suggestions, this journey belongs to me. I wish what worked for you would work for me. Then I could do so and so, and poof I am better. The pain will gradually ease with time I know,  but now the hurt burns white hot to the exclusion of all other feelings.

Frivolous comments cheapen my pain and throw obstacles in the way to healing. If you want to help, listen. Do not ignore my pain, recognize it as a burden I carry right now. Someday, I will be better.




2 comments:

  1. I care, Cindy. I've thought of you a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would be so insensitive to you that they'd cheapen your grief? Like you said, one size does not fit all, and every journey is unique. My mother in law, eh mom, lies in "active dying, " at this very moment in the living room. It is not easier than before and if someone would say otherwise, I'd probably punch them in the nose. Hard. Twice. Maybe three times if it made me feel better.... just remember, one foot in front of the other, one breath at a time. LOVE LOVE LOVE the pebble

    ReplyDelete