Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Coincidence?

You never believed in divine design. You always said our minds are wired to see patterns and when we meet someone who clicks with us it is just coincidence.

So you tell me about these things.

On the Monday after you died, my phone rang. It was about 6:15 in the evening. When I checked caller ID, it said Paul Mooney. I answered and all I could hear was your mom, dad and brother cleaning out your apartment. Your dad was concerned with the security deposits, your brother said how proud you were of a table. Someone remarked about your sweet tooth. I tried everything I could to get their attention. Finally I hung up. Obviously someone hit the wrong button when they picked up your phone. But I choose to believe that there was a reason your phone called me.

Sunday, I awoke with an Irving Berlin tune in my head. "Always" is not one of those songs I think of often. I imagine I have thought of it maybe twice before. But the words held meaning for me and I posted some of them on FB. Later in the day, I checked YouTube for a version of the song and found one by Leonard Cohen. I love him as an artist and poet and so did you. I posted the link. Pete later posted that you and he had seen that concert together.

Then there is the matter of Transplantland. A few months back you trusted me enough to let me read the blog as a guest. I fell in love with your writing and your songs. I asked permission to record the songs off the blog and you said I could. Unfortunately, the plan did not work. You were generous enough to send me four of the songs. The guest pass for the blog expired and I never mentioned it again. The other day I went to your web site to post a goodbye in your guestbook. After I did that, I tried the blog. I was admitted. Did you do that on purpose? Did you give me another guest pass or will I have access forever? Time will tell.

Coincidence or not? Maybe, but I am jus' sayin'.

The postman comes today, I will not go to get the mail.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment