Sunday, December 20, 2009

The strength of smiles

Yesterday I wrote one of the hardest letters I have ever written.

I wanted your mother to know how much her son meant to me. She had an extraordinary son and I wanted to tell her how I appreciated having you as a friend even for the short time we shared.

Some things I want to keep locked away in the recesses of my heart. When the sadness hangs like a fog in my mind, I can bring those memories out and dispel the gloom. What odd little memories raise a smile.

I wanted to share some of the smiles though with your mother because her loss must be so gut-wrenching. A mother knows her son better than anyone, but sometimes she needs to hear others reaffirm what she knows. I can only imagine the pain she is feeling.

Remember to live your life as though this will be your last day.

The postman did not come today. You remain in my heart.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment