Thursday, December 31, 2009

A year to remember

With age, wisdom does come.

In a few short hours, 2009 will join preceeding years and fade into memory. What a year it has been. Certain things deserve a second look as they are taken off the bulletin board and packed away.

For the first time in 42 years, I did not have a job. At first the freedom had me as giddy as a schoolgirl with her first beau. But after awhile, the extra time became a negative rather than a positive. I became a television junkie. Mind-numbing shows hour after hour, with a few phone calls from a friend thrown in.

Then I got on a self-improvement jag. I was instructed to sign up for pulmonary rehab by the doctor who saved my life. So with great trepidation, I entered the program. The experience turned out to be fun -- and beneficial. But like a kid with a bag of candy, I overindulged.

Enter Internet addiction. With Obama's $600, I bought a computer. Thus began a connection with more wonderful friends than I would have imagined. And a way to stay in touch with former co-workers.

Through the PHA chat room, I have connected with a core of women who each offers a unique perspective. Such a diversity of backgrounds and personalities, though all true sisters.

Then, of course, there is you. Half of 2009 was you.

You were spinning in your orbit and me in mine. When Mason died, our paths collided. You knocked me into a completely new zone. And what a trip!

We made a connection right from the beginning. From FB inbox to FB chat to Yahoo chat at lightning speed. At 3 a.m. when we were both mysteriously awake; at noon to watch a match; right before you hit the road to Pitt. I shamelessly gave you my heart from the getgo. And you selflessly gave me your life. I was smitten.

Remember how surprised you were that I knew your birthday? The penguin leaves clues? The penguin leaves clues everywhere. I find them in the oddest places.

Pete, you and I received an extra bit of empathy when our psyche was passed out. Empathy is a blessing and a curse. Empathy often paves the way for disappointment. But it also allows us to serve others in remarkable ways.

As the new year nudges its way in, I vow not to forget the generosity of spirit you poured over me in 2009. I vow to try harder to keep your loving spirit going.

Peace and love to you, Mr. Mooney. We were friends. What a great and lasting gift.

No, mailman, no.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment