Sunday, December 5, 2010

What a year

The past year has been one of learning and growing. Many days were painful. Many days came and went without making a mark. I met grief.

Grief and I had a nodding acquaintance before. I lost my grandparents, several aunts, cousins and my dad. I wasted the chance for learning and growing with the grandparents. I wanted nothing to do with death and funerals, so I did not go.

The death of my dad hit hard. He died suddenly. I went into survival mode and then pushed away emotions. I did not allow myself to mourn.

Through the years I have lost colleagues. This past year I lost one whom I had known for almost 30 years. For him, I was able to sit and hold his hand, though he was not conscious. I touched death and did not flinch. I wanted to be strong for him, I wanted to help.

I began this blog and vowed to write every day as a tribute to you. (Except for the days I was hospitalized, I accomplished that goal.) I used writing as a safety valve, releasing pressure when I thought I would go insane.

Without the help of friends (some help totally unexpected but oh so welcome), I am not sure how I would have made it through the year.

Connie calls almost every day. She makes sure I get out. Others offered words of encouragement, some of which came at just the right time.

A couple of new friends mourn along with me and opened up their hearts. We pull each other along the road to healing. I am thankful.

My reactions are honest though maybe not logical. Some chose to ignore me, some chose to condemn me. No matter.

I miss you no less, but sorrow loosens its vice-like grip on me. I begin to breathe once again.

Thanks, Dude.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone grieves the loss of someone close differently. Some can seem to be ok and move on rather quickly, for some it can take years, if not decades for it to not hurt anymore. I know this has been a difficult year for you. I've seen and read how much pain you've been in. I can only hope that this new year starts to bring you some comfort, and good memories. I know it will still take some time, but that is what I really wish for for you. ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to ya CL and hope that this new year will offer much more for ya..You are such a dear friend...hang in there..take care and stay warm :))

    ReplyDelete