Sunday, July 11, 2010

An octopus' garden

For those of you who are younger than say 50, the cartoon at right is Pogo. Pogo, who is a possum, lives in the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia. His friends, Albert Alligator, Howland Owl, Porky Pine, Rackety Coon Chile and a whole cast of others, wandered into and out of the political satire strip. The artist Walt Kelly took jabs at Sen. Joseph McCarthy and hot button issues from 1948 until 1975. We could use a few jabs at life and politics today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_(comics)

http://www.pogopossum.com/

My older cat got his name from the possum. I think he lives up to the name or at least he gives a valiant effort.
* * *
Today Spain takes on The Netherlands in the World Cup final. I hope Paul the octopus keeps his prognosticative prowess. The win will be the first WC championship for either team. Go Spain!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgPqmRNjoTE
* * *
Connie said something which roiled in my subconscience for days.  She told me I am living my purpose. By being myself, I am fulfilling my role. I guess I am afraid I am not living up to my potential or I am failing someone or most of all myself. Maybe I need a manual or some directions -- breadcrumbs?
* * *
Some of your friends have gone out of their way to be nice to me. B comes to mind. He does not know me real well, yet he always sends such nice messages. Others also bless me every time I have any contact with them. I know I try to keep a connection to you through them, but I also know they are good people and I would benefit from a friendship with them. Isn't that the way you meet friends? Through other friends? Not the only way, but one good way.

Sometimes I feel like I am an observer. I do not live, I watch. Suddenly I look up and I am at the end of my life. Was the whole thing a waste? Did I put my life on cruise control and just sit back?
* * *
Dude, Tour de France begins the Alps today. Chavanel owns the yellow and Contador is sixth and Lance is 14th. Today marks the eighth stage. You would have a sleep management problem right now. Ha.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment