Sunday, July 4, 2010

Surprise

Every now and then I try to put my eye out. Before you freak out, not intentionally. Seems I have cut my eyeball at least four times with a fingernail. Don't ask.

Eyes get infected quickly. Twice I ended up at an emergency clinic. (I choose weekends and holidays to injure myself.)

The doc puts in some soothing stuff from a tube and then looks at the eyeball under ultraviolet light. "Yep," he says, "you scratched your eyeball." Duh. He writes a prescription for some sulphur mixture. Two hours wasted because I am a klutz.
* * *
The mail brought me two surprises. While not expecting either of them, after all they were surprises, one sender was not a surprise and the other was. So I guess one surprise was actually two suprises in one or a surprising surprise.

Cheryl sent me a thank you note. Though totally unnecessary, it brightened my day. Remember the little things often mean more than the elaborate, expensive ones. As that commercial that ended up in the American lexicon for 15 minutes says, blah, blah, blah, priceless.

The surprising surprise warmed my heart as no other could. The note represents so much to me, but maybe most of all, acceptance. Recognition of my minuscule role. Acknowledgment that I even had a role. And some amazement on my part that I am worthy. No matter. Tears of happiness mix with the bittersweet.
* * *
Well, dude, Spain pulled it off. What a match! They get the Germans next. Uh oh.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment