Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Must be teardrops

The box with clippings of my food column sits in the middle of the bedroom floor where it has been for more than a week. The box also contains letters from readers and some recipes from a holiday food contest I conducted for five years. I put the box in the tornado closet the day after I was laid off. Now I face either tossing it or putting it on a shelf in another closet. Sort of rotating stock in the hopes one day it will be gone.

No Pulitzer sits on my desk. In the kitchen cabinet rest several mugs commemorating my perfect attendance at work for several years running. Hidden away in one of the closets, two employee of the month plaques. All the "we are family, we value our employees" turned out a bold faced lie. So why keep reminders of that time? Because the box represents a body of work, the reason for being for that chunk of my life. Once I am gone, no one will want some old yellow newspapers.

I hope I am not pushiing myself on people who think I am crazy but are too polite to say anything. I am just sad.

Later, Dude.

5 comments:

  1. Lots of hugs and love coming your way..I think you should post some of those articles and recipes as well... :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad you are sad...lots of love, hugs and kisses coming your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jen! You have a whole new audience with your blog and even Facebook. I would bet you anything that at least one person would be interested in reading your articles. You already have at least two who would like to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I'm amazed when my husband brings home a "trinket" from work. Projects he's worked YEARS on is celebrated with things like a small paper weight with a military aircraft on it (which would represent what he worked on) or a coaster with the image on it. That little thing represents much sweat and tears. I would LOVE to read whatever you write and I hope you feel more chipper today than yesterday. Thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all save the treasures of our lives...I for one would love your to read your keepsakes... please publish them...or pass them on. They are a part of your life..it's important to me. You are such a loving caring person...Love you, so much!

    ReplyDelete