Monday, March 26, 2012

TMI

A FB friend announced she chooses life over medicine's side effects. She plans to stop her meds and live life and leave the rest up to God.  By doing this, does she dare God to intercede?

I know medicines carry many side effects that make our lives miserable. Some folks suffer more side effects than others. I got my diagnosis almost seven years ago but I remember vividly how I felt at the time. 

I would take the elevator from the third floor to the first floor and walk outside to smoke a cigarette. Then take the elevator back to the third floor and walk into the newsroom. I had to stop by the mailboxes and lean on the table to catch my breath. 

By the time I walked from a parking space into the grocery store I had to lean on the potato display to catch my breath. Several shoppers stopped to ask if I were all right and one of the store's managers brought me a chair to sit on. I thought I was dying.

My feet and ankles swelled to the point I could not put on my tennis shoes (the largest, most flexible shoe I owned). 

I quit smoking with the help of my heart doctor, whom I had to see because of the smoking. He introduced me to Doc, who got the COPD under control with medicines. These meds list a whole menu of side effects. My body adapted to the meds without many, if any, of the bad guys coming along.

Doc got the COPD under control then began a series of tests to determine why I still exhibited so many symptoms. PH decided to come along for the ride. Doc told me a "cure" for PH will not happen anytime soon. So, more medicines with their own set of side effects.

Again my body adapts to the meds. Oh, I am not saying I do not have side effects. This disease progresses, so staying alive means adding more meds and more side effects. Sure, I have less energy. Sure, I am constipated.  Sure, I cannot do everything I would like to in one day. But I remember how I was a few short years ago. I choose to keep trying. Rather than testing God (strictly my opinion), I am thankful that I live in an era in which God gave researchers the ability to develop meds that keep me here longer.

Today I plan to go by a friend's house to pick up some books. I have tried to get these books for almost a month. Side effects prevented the visit. Today I think I can make it. I would love to add a trip to the grocery store. Maybe or maybe not. If not, I will sit in my chair and watch nature in action.

This life is mine with all its joys and complications. Others have to chose their own path and what proves right for them.

Later, Dude.

1 comment:

  1. I went 28 years with PH symptoms, which grew worse when I taught. The meds have made such a huge impact on how I feel on a daily basis, that I can't possibly imagine ditching them and just seeing how much longer I can make it until God decides to take me.

    ReplyDelete