Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What a gene pool







I know some pretty talented people. Steve Douglass, a longtime friend (more on him in a bit), shot the rusting truck, above. I envy the ability to look through a lens and see the image as a work of art rather than a snapshot. I know several outstanding photographers. I worked with them over the years.

Brittani Wray represents the next generation of photo talent. She shot the above image of herself and her boyfriend. She learns quickly. I had the honor of working with her a short time. Brittani blows in like a springtime breeze: sometimes gently, sometimes a bit faster, sometimes like a gathering storm on the Plains. She has not lost the ability to enjoy what she does and she takes you right along with her.

I know several outstanding wordsmiths. The stories trip over themselves rushing from imaginations to fingers. With a sentence or two, they send you to the inner city in the 1800s or to heaven with a murder victim. They can induce you to buy that soft drink or listen to a rock band's latest offering.

I have a friend who is shooting a movie. I have two friends who wrote scripts that became movies. They each followed their dreams.

I made a new friend in whose veins run ink and paint. She exudes enthusiasm, and maybe a bit of idealistic youth. Talent flows from her brushes.

Some of my friends chose to share their knowledge with students. They hope to influence the world to come. The future shines brighter because of these teachers.

Back to Steve. His career took a right turn (or was it left?) after the newspaper. He listens to all sorts of radio traffic. He wrote a definitive book on military monitoring. He listens for news organizations all over the world. Fascinating stuff.

You did not fit a mold either. Anything you wanted to do, you did well. Write songs -- sure thing. Write poetry -- uh huh. Sports -- yep.

Each of my friends blesses me for unique reasons. No two are alike, yet each are similiar.
* * *
I think of you so often.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment