Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chocolate my hamartia

I should be pinging off the walls.

My godson and his family sent me a large gift bag full of every kind of chocolate imaginable. I managed to put a big dent in it last night for dinner. That's right, dinner. I think you would have given me a run for the money on some of it.

Somewhere I read most older people do not regret what they did, they regret what they did not do. Except for the Norman Rockwell thing, I believe you have no regrets. From what you told me and what I have heard from others, you had a life that was not only full, but rich as well. Oh, by your standards, I am sure you had some, but they were not obvious to everyone.

You managed to cram at least three lifetimes into one. Your body placed some limitations and obstacles in your way, but you adapted. The last couple of weeks you still were living your life to the fullest. Still learning, still giving, still excited. Yet you knew your run was almost over. I have so much admiration for you.

Your brother sent me the neatest note yesterday. I told him about when we were looking for hockey league players and the Tetrahedrons.

Speaking of which, you, YOU, are first in the EPL. I cannot believe you could pick a team that will carry you through the rest of the year, and probably on top. Haha. Not doing bad elsewhere either, considering. What oh what am I going to do next year?

Kirsop is not doing well. He has an infection and 17 percent lung function. I know you guys were going to take a tour of the venues in England, but please be patient. His girls need their dad as long as possible. He will join you eventually, then you can have some marvelous footy talks. And save a spot for me along the way.

Am I canonizing you? Perhaps; it is hard not to. In the same way, it is hard not to vilify some. But in either case, what good is done? We all have hamartia. It is displayed more prominently and is more easily identified in some, that's all.

I've deleted the mailman. So there!

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment