Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Me and my pals

I tried to make headway on the clutter issue yesterday. Connie was here to clean and did her best to prod me into action. In the effort to declutter tables in the living room, I discovered my closets are also in a shambles.

Connie carried out several boxes I had been saving for who knows how long and for who knows what reason. Now, the closets are no less a wreck, but a less crowded wreck at least. I wish I had the initiative to tackle one closet from top to bottom. Then I would have a place to stash the visible clutter. Haha

We did not speak much about my health, but when we did, your natural curiosity and concern showed. You once told me to turn up my o2, that my sats were too low. You wanted to know my echo numbers as much as I did.

You educated me about CF and tx issues. You told me your specific problems. I know you lived your life for as long as you possibly could as if you had no chronic disease. That in itself is admirable and something for everyone to aspire to.

I think sharing your thoughts with me as your body failed also took great courage. What an honor and gift to give me.

Most of the friends I have had over the years have been men. Each of you has touched my life in separate ways and carried me through a stretch on life's journey. Lucky, lucky me.

John lead me into adulthood with savoir faire and a sense of adventure. Birt was there when I needed a boost to the ego and someone to help me out of a fine mess. Rick had a fervor for issues that was catching. And you. You were there for me when I needed lessons in grace, compassion, and humor. The Big Four -- three of you are gone now.

Other men in my life come and go. They, too, pull me along. Thanks Bruce, Jim, Sean, Pete, and many more.

Today is a doctor day. I will have to pretty up my body and make my way to the medical center. I know it may sound crazy, but it is a pleasure to see my doctor. He is easy on the eyes, but more important, his staff is friendly and efficient. You wait next to no time to see the doctor. The staff treats you as if you are a friend or relative, they know you by name. And the doctor is right on top of the latest trends in pulmonary hypertension. How lucky I am.

The Little Dribblers are in first place. Of course, I think I am the only one playing. And all I am doing is making sure the players are in playing positions for the day. I really hate that, dude. Sorry.

Won't be home when the mailman comes today.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment