Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Tyvaso bump

My pulmonary hypertension doc's nurse called me yesterday. She said Doc wants me to increase my Tyvaso to seven puffs, four times a day this week and eight puffs, four times a day next week.
"And the next week?" I asked.

"He didn't say. He wants to take it slow," she said. "You will call us right away if there are problems?"

"Of course I will call you right away," I said (both she and I knowing I did not call the last time).
So what did I do? I had one treatment left for yesterday. So I did nine breaths.

I did not die nor was I up all night with symptoms. I did not start wheezing nor did I have a coughing fit.

But one word fits what I did: foolish.

I am better educated than most regular medical patients about my disease. I imagine I am a handful for Doc. To pretend I am just a patient and ignorant (and to be perfectly clear: no, not all patients are ignorant) is not part of my nature. The wisdom of doctors not treating themselves should apply here, too.

I vow to follow Doc's plan with my mouth firmly shut. It is a matter of life and death.

Later, Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment