Friday, February 19, 2010

IMO

YouTube ranks right up there with Google for me. I remember snippets of a song. Hmmm. I Google what I remember. Up pops the name of the tune. Onward to YouTube where I find several versions. Instant music.

For an old schooler like myself, the innovations in my lifetime boggle the mind.

Innovation or revolution comes with its own slang or language. Munchies, a term from the 1960s, finds its way into the Urban Dictionary, an online Webster for the texting generation. Don't know what LMAO means? Check it out in the electronic reference. My command of slang falls short, but does continue to expand.

Wonder what a linguist thinks of all this? I know some slang eventually works its way into the dictionary of authority. I bet purists fear the end of the English language. I wonder how many purists remain. Will they eventually die out completely?

For good or bad, language does redefine itself over time. Old English ring any bells? Ever read Beowulf? I am glad Mrs. Foster thought it important to study it. There are few teachers today like Mrs. Foster.

Kirsop went home yesterday to his girls. Cheryl heads for an apartment Monday. They both inspire others who have the same or similar diseases.

Miss you like crazy, dude.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment