Friday, February 26, 2010

Mme du Pont

My social calendar (haha) reveals a busy day today. Betty and I plan lunch at one of the local Thai restaurants. I always enjoy lunch with Betty because she fills me in on all the happenings at the newspaper. The two most recent departures, I am sure, added a new dynamic there. As one of the last of the old hands, Betty offers an interesting assessment.

Tonight Keith is coming in for a brief visit. Keith and I met in college. He was a journalism major, too. He and I have shared some growing pains over the years. He ended up with a job in government, first in Vermont, then in D.C. He finally managed to wrangle his way back to Texas not long ago.

Keith stories could fill volumes. Together, with another journalism major and my Great Dane, Tess, we made a quick trip to Santa Fe in my Chevrolet Vega. What a sight we must have presented. That trip initiated Keith into the "darker" side of college life. Let's just say he had no world experience to speak of.

Over the years, similar stories unfolded. Keith remains a friend today -- not there constantly, but in and out of my life on a regular basis.

Yesterday I pooped out. I did too much the preceeding two days and I paid yesterday. I still do not realize that I can no longer do what I used to. I cannot clean the apartment in one fell swoop. What used to take one or two days, now takes one or two weeks.

Update: Cheryl and Kirsop continue to progress. Both are now out of the hospital and doing wonderfully well.

Well, dude, I hope you will be pleased.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment