Saturday, February 27, 2010

Old friends





Today it is my priviledge to spend some time with a friend.

I plan to go sit with former colleague Bruce while Tanya, his wife, makes a trip to the grocery store.

The docs diagnosed Bruce with stage 3-4 cancer more than a year ago. With lots of prayers, he has fought like the former Marine he is.

Bruce, Rick and I were the Three Musketeers of the copy desk for a big chunk of the 1980s. A transplant from Long Island via Minnesota, a small town guy and former Marine from Indiana and me. We had fun working together and often ate dinner at a local pizza joint that had all-you-can-eat spaghetti. For variety, we chose a chinese place that had drive-through.

Over the years, our jobs changed and Rick moved back to Indiana.

Bruce took on the chief cook and bottle washer job of the weekly community news tabloid. The job suits him well. He rubs shoulders daily with a wide range of people from the mayor to third-graders who are economically and educationally challenged. He wants to share their stories.

The community loves Bruce. Since the discovery of cancer, friends, neighbors and strangers have provided meals, transportation, prayers and more.

Bruce's battles, like any war, rage and ebb; each takes its toll.

Today I will tell Bruce how much I have appreciated him over the years. Maybe we can share a laugh about some of the goofy things we did during our dinner hours. I will let him know I care.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment