Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spring! Into action

A wild hair twitched yesterday and I cleaned out all the drawers in the kitchen plus most of the top cabinets. Maybe the weather finally got to me or I am hoping spring will show up if I do springlike chores.

I got harsh with the gadget drawer. I chunked items I have not used in awhile into a large box. The box will find a home at the top of the pantry. If I do not use any of the items in the next year, then the whole box will go to charity.

The box contains cooking hopes and dreams never realized.

The pastry cutter came as part of a press release, though for what I do not remember. I figured I could use one. Right. Never could make pie crust or biscuits from scratch. Pillsbury offers near perfect substitutes, so why not take advantage?

The apple corer sounded like a great gadget, but in reality you need enormous strength to get those perfect slices. And how many sets of measuring spoons does one need? Certainly not four.

Right now, I do not recall what else the box contains. A year's reprieve for most of the items is quite generous.

The pantry and a major cleaning of the frig top the agenda for today. Also a run to the trash. I managed to fill two large black bags yesterday. To be fair, not all the trash was from the kitchen.

Already the organizing lifts a load off my head. About twice a year, the urge to clean and organize hits. Sometimes I can carry through only so far before I get bogged down.

An ugly brown overstuffed rocking chair has been a part of my living room for more than 30 years. The chair was one of the first pieces of furniture I bought when I was out on my own. I got it from Montgomery Ward, which died many moons ago, for about $100 on sale.

The rocker served as "my chair" for years. Over time its shape conformed to mine. Connie's children crawled up into it to rock and felt secure surrounded by the arms and high back. Several cats have nabbed a nap there.

I bought a new chair a few years ago -- an oversize chair much like the one featured in that laxative commercial on TV. I like the roominess; it gives me the illusion I am tiny, which I have never been.

The time has come. RIP ugly brown overstuffed rocking chair.

When the four walls begin to creep closer and closer, I need to simplify. The minimalist in me demands almost stark, yet surprisingly, I like antique furniture, which can be immensely cluttery. I am not such a fan of the doilies and horsehair sofas, but I do love the dark wood of desks and side tables.

I'm just a gal whose intentions are good, oh lord, please don't let me fa--il where I stood. (With apologies to The Animals)

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment