Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fear factor

A thread on FB goes something like this: Seeing fans bundled up in the stands surprised me. I did not realize it got cold in South Africa.

I am amused but it also reminds me how Texans fight the "everyone rides a horse to work" misconception. The images of South Africa that most of us project in our minds are dusty, hot, fly-infested villages with half-naked children looking forlorn.

South Africa, like every country on Earth, boasts modern cities -- all metal and glass rising to the heavens. South Africa also shares life-sapping, spirit-sucking poverty with every country on Earth.

Once the world's eye leaves the country, the mundane will resume. The growing unrest. The two or three or four factions harboring hate and suspicion.

The fear but also the determination to forge a united South Africa. World Cup can act as the salve for a wounded collective soul or at least the example and inspiration for all to consider.

The matches themselves have at best been mediocre so far. Probably because of the hair. Messi, Torres, Ronaldo and others changed 'dos. Sheesh guys! Makes it real hard to follow you on the pitch when you look alike.
* * *
I am thankful for:

Friends Each in his own way nourishes my being.

Enough I have food, shelter, medical insurance, a good doctor.

Animals Whether cat or dog, they offer unconditional love.

Reason My mind works, though sometimes too well.
* * *
Hey, dude.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment