Thursday, June 24, 2010

Have a heart, doc

I had the rare opportunity of fussing at a doctor yesterday. My heart doc told me he discovered he had diabetes. We talked about how his office overbooks and that that could not be good for his health. He said he works at making the waits shorter.

And what a contrast to Connie's visit the day before. She walked in, saw the crowd, went to the window and made a new appointment. When I walked in, four people sat in the waiting room. My wait this time -- 15 minutes. And heart doc actually asked if I had questions. We talked about the options for heart caths.

He explained that my lungs reflect my COPD, stretched. And the way the lungs lie in the chest, if he went in through the neck a nick in the lung might happen. That would mean a collapsed lung. For people with PH, that represents big trouble.

I had expressed interest in the neck entrance because with the femoral artery entrance, the patient must lie flat for at least an hour. Not easy.

The scheduler and I hashed out a date for the RHC. The first available opening, July 1. I had to be home that day. The next available time I would not have been the first cath of the day. I want to go first. So July 7 wins the lottery.
* * *
The Americans pulled it off despite such lousy officiating. I can just imagine how excited you would be. We actually won the group, over England. We proved our scrappiness.
* * *
I have an appointment Monday with a counselor.
* * *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od66bhNzBtE

Dude, I miss you so much right now.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. Has your cardiologist ever used a Collegen Plug when he does caths in the groin? Mine did ... and I guess it cuts down the "laying down flat" time. Seemed like I left the cath room and got a drink and then it was time to go home. Those happy juice shots...makes you think time's just flying by. I hope your time with the counselor is effective in helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, best of luck with the counselor. I know that really has helped me in the past when I went through rough patches.

    Thinking about ya!

    M.E.

    ReplyDelete