Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Another voice

Another voice and picture connected yesterday when Liz called. We talked with ease immediately.

Liz and I share similar PH numbers and take the same PH meds. Our personalities, on the other hand, seem polar opposites. She reaches out, grabs you and gives you a big loving hug; she laughs easily.

I am more reserved, shy. I would prefer others to do all the talking with prompts from me. I love people, but I take my time. I ease, not dive, into the swimming pool. But I can, and do, put on my journalism persona if necessary.

Liz lives in Tulsa. She tells me if I need a road trip to head their way, they have plenty of room.

I enjoyed talking with Liz. Connecting faces with voices fascinates me. Sometimes what you imagine turns out totally opposite. Liz, however, was just as I imagined.
* * *
I hate how Americans warehouse their elderly. The "old country's" way of taking grandma into the home benefits all. The activity in a younger generation's home helps keep grandma sharp and gives her purpose. The younger generation benefits from the wisdom of years.

We offer all kinds of excuses, but really, none are valid.

In an effort to have more and more, we have left behind so many valuable practices. I know the genie will not go back into the bottle, but we can learn to tame him.
* * *
I read that we need more than $1 million to retire comfortably these days.
* * *
I am checking in with the doc today. I am taking a list of questions with me. I hope to tell him all the things going on with me in the last month, including how I felt physically and mentally. I hope to find some answers. I grow weary traveling this road.
* * *
M.M.M.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment