Thursday, September 2, 2010

Do this or that will happen

The local newspaper encourages, or maybe makes mandatory, writing a blog. Everyone in the newsroom. Photographers, copy editors, reporters. Will this blur the line between news and personal opinion?

People tend to believe the written word. Just look at all those rumors floating around FB. The tide of misinformation ebbs for awhile, then washes over the site again. The most popular "truths" include: "Do not friend so-and-so, they will steal your information... crash your computer...eat your firstborn."; and "Get the Farm..... special pig ... cow ... barn ... free. Just click like button and pick up that malware, too."

Also noticed evangelists of every stripe. Then there are the ever present links to the sites of various illnesses. Lots of fund-raisers. I support finding help for all chronic diseases, after all I suffer from one. But, like one of my fellow PHers said, the PH crowd loses its personal touch. Not as much support individually anymore.

My "friends" grew to nearly 420. Now really, how many of them do I communicate with? Some of them I do not have the slightest idea who they are. Yet I hesitate to defriend them because I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. Sheesh.

I spend lots of time on the site, but I stay "hidden" a majority of the time. Why? Sometimes I want to play FT without interruptions. The game keeps me mindlessly occupied. I hide also because I cannot talk to two or three people at once. I end up hitting the wrong key every time. That sends all conversations into the abyss.

This intangible world sucks you in as effectively as a peepshow poster. The cyber addiction possesses holds you cannot begin to imagine.
 * * *
Yesterday I overdid. Shot my wad of spoons before noon. Called Bubber and canceled the dinner. We will reschedule sometime before he leaves on Tuesday. I did get the bedroom vacuumed and the dishes washed as well as my hair and myself.

Connie wondered if Bubber and my mom know how serious my disease is. Probably not since I tend to underplay PH. I also deny.
* * *
I read quite a few blogs now. If I fail to write a comment on yours, it does not mean I am not reading. It does not mean I do not care. I would imagine (((hugs))) gets old. Just know I have dropped by. Thanks for sharing.
* * *
My feet and legs continue to swell. I am trying to eat better and see if that helps.
* * *
You were the best.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment