Monday, September 13, 2010

Today I wuz born

Some thoughts on this day, the anniversary of my birth.

As Elton sang, "I don't have much money but boy if I did ..."

The thing with money, I have always had enough. Not excessive. I have food, shelter, medicine. When I was working, I could not afford big screen TVs or trips to Argentina. I could afford to buy anything I saw at the supermarket, including prime rib. I could afford to help my friend and her husband who struggled to raise a soccer-playing brood.

Now I need to learn to live on much, much less. In fact, more than a third of my income is spent on medical costs and insurance. Another third on housing and the third third on bills. Notice anything missing?

My body speaks volumes about age.

I wear my war wounds with pride -- in your face youth. I bet people wonder about the marks on my arms. No one finds the guts to ask. Maybe the o2 tank diverts those thoughts. I remember how I used to think. Now the understanding I have makes me ashamed for the younger me.

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Girly-Girl

"No, not me, no way, Jose." I guess the ugly duckling never underwent her metamorphosis. While my contemporaries rolled their hair on oj cans, I watched Game of the Week. While the Vickies of high school practiced cheerleading moves, I read books. So I missed girly-girl lessons.

The hippie thing came and I found perfection. Jeans, T-shirts and no bra. After the days of girdles and hose, this was heaven.

Now nightshirts and long gowns anchor my wardrobe. I have lost about 65 pounds the last few years. Now I have two pairs of jeans and two shirts that fit. My dress up clothes.

"I've loved, I've laughed and cried ..."

Mostly the latter.

The golden relationship alludes me but I have wonderful friends. My boys offer unconditional love (unless I fail to feed them frequently).

Glad I wuz born

Dude, I miss you especially today.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Cindy! Many wishes that you have a great day and a very good birthday year. HUGS to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Cindy! Love you lots! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I love you. I think we are kindred spirits. (((((Hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete