Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tuneup

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen. What a great name for a band, huh?

I enjoy music, always have. Noises, on the other hand, bother me. Thus produces a conflict of great magnitude. I love music but I can only take small doses. I am not sure why the auditory sense causes such stress. The hearing part of my brain cannot multitask perhaps.

Music and specific tunes define my life as it does for others I am sure. My generation of music begins sitting on the fence between Elvis and The Beatles. Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison (he was born in Vernon) held down spots, too.

My parents favored show tunes, Henry Mancini, and tunes from World War II.

I grew up on cartoons which featured classical music as background, i.e. the Bugs Bunny cartoon with "the William Tell Overture" and of course Fantasia.

I played the trumpet in junior high (mother wanted me to play the trumpet, she had played it in school). I sang in the choir as well. Our junior high musical production was "Showboat." I buried myself in the drama department my early college years. I helped with productions of college operas, though I did not sing.

The later college years I discovered The Moody Blues, Led Zepplin, Jerry Jeff and Willie.

Flash forward. Sorry, folks, I am not a rap fan. I guess I got stuck in my generation's set of tunes.

Remember hippy dippy weatherman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBRc0VtRiQ

Well, Dude. My lads tanked this week. Fame is so fleeting.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment