Sunday, October 24, 2010

The core

Today I honor the core of women who started me along the path of pulmonary hypertension education. Each of the 15 or so women offered encouragement and a listening ear. These are the women who welcomed me to chat.

In the PH world, death hangs around. Of my core group, death has claimed only one. Racheal. To lose just one in the five years I have been diagnosed beats the odds to hell. Oh, there have been many deaths over the years, just none of the core. TW and Mason, if women, would be in the core. They are gone.

There are others, of course. Way too many. But there are success stories as well. Cheryl got new lungs and thrives. New medicines help others.

The core represents an amalgam of personality, education, age and income. PH drew us together as only a rare, life-threatening disease can. A fraternity no one wants to join but oh so necessary. The core shares woes and successes, aches and side effects, children and grandchildren, parents and pets.

Each PH newbie gathers a core. Someone who reaches out and says, "I have been there. Let me tell you what I do."

So, thank you.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment