Thursday, October 7, 2010

Every breath I take

Would I have the courage to get a lung transplant?

One of my online PH friends from Fort Worth lies on the operating table. The doctors opened her chest just minutes ago. Another six to nine hours before the docs sew her back up.

In the blink of an eye ago time wise, doctors amputated limbs without anesthetic. Now they replace body parts. Amazing.

In my former, not so sick life, I paid little to no attention to transplants. I recall seeing press releases for fund-raisers. I thought trying to raise that much money with garage sales and dances was not easy. I recall at least a couple of people who died before they got their call.

I knew the importance of organ donation and signed up about the time I started driving.

After I got my PH diagnosis, I began to see the miracles the surgeries accomplished. These stories became more personal. Through the Internet, I met and talked to those waiting for new lungs or kidneys. They became a part of my life.

Several of my friends got new lungs. I rejoiced with them and their families. I sat on the edge of my chair waiting for information and cheered with the good news. A second chance.

I also have seen the down side of transplant. For whatever reason, the body rejects the lungs despite efforts of the docs and recipient. The patient receives another year to live but the year hurls every obstacle at the patient. Some die on the table; some never get the call.

You are in my heart, Dude.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment